Nottingham Forest 5 Yeading 0

A Kris Commons hat-trick ensured Nottingham Forest avoided another cup upset as they hammered Yeading 5-0 in the FA Cup.

Forest had gone out to Accrington in the Carling Cup and lost to Woking, Chester and Macclesfield in cup competitions last season.

But there was to be no mistake this time as Colin Calderwood's side turned in a professional performance and offered no sympathy to their non-league opponents.

Commons' first-half hat-trick shattered Yeading's confidence and all but secured Forest's progression with a double strike from Junior Agogo in the second period only emphasising their domination.

The Conference South side had begun with great determination and saw Marvin Morgan force an early save from Paul Smith.

But once Commons had scored his first in the 19th minute their resolve weakened.

The midfielder seemed to be little threat as he picked up a John Curtis throw-in wide on the left, but he turned cleverly and raced towards goal before striking a spectacular shot that dipped dramatically under the bar and into the back of the net from 25 yards.

Yeading forced a short spell of pressure as they went in search of an immediate equaliser but without ever forcing Smith into making a save.

And the game was dead and buried in the 32nd minute after Agogo burst powerfully down the left flank before cutting a superb ball across the face of the box to Nicky Southall on the far side.

The winger controlled well before feeding Commons who bent a superb, accurate drive into the top corner from 12 yards.

Southall could have made it 3-0 almost immediately as another flowing move picked out his run into the box, but rookie keeper Mark Cousins made a smart save at the winger's feet.

Wes Morgan also came close to extending Forest's advantage with a powerful downward header that bounced inches wide of the foot of the post.

Bu with Yeading's self-belief visibly draining it was no shock when Forest did fire a third.

And, while it was Commons who secured his hat-trick, the credit should go to Agogo. His burst into the box from the left culminated in a powerful low shot which keeper Cousins saved well but could only parry to Commons, who slotted home from close range.

It took only nine minutes of the second half for Forest to make it 4-0 as a clumsy challenge from Nathan Bowden-Haase on Forest substitute Nathan Tyson resulted in a penalty.

Agogo stepped up to take the spot-kick and got a deserved goal with an emphatic low shot to the keeper's right.

And within four minutes it was 5-0 as Jack Lester turned provider to thread a fine pass down the right for Southall who in turn crossed dangerously into the middle.

Tyson failed to connect on the edge of the six-yard box but Agogo stroked home at the far post.