Nottm Forest 0-3 Brentford: Match Report

Brentford recorded just their third win of 2016 to ease their relegation fears and ensure Nottingham Forest's miserable recent run was maintained, as the Bees cruised to a comfortable 3-0 success at the City Ground.

Dean Smith's side had been looking nervously over their shoulders as a run of four straight defeats left them sliding down the Sky Bet Championship table, but they gained a much-needed victory as Forest fell apart in the second half.

Lasse Vibe put Brentford ahead following an awful Forest mix-up in the 49th minute, Nico Yennaris added the second in the 65th minute and Sergi Canos finished off the hosts, who have now won just one in nine, three minutes from time.

By the time Canos made it 3-0, Forest had already been reduced to 10 men after Eric Lichaj was sent off in the 77th minute for collecting a second booking in a matter of minutes.

It was a cagey start to the game from both sides, with the most noteworthy moment of the first 24 minutes being an injury to Michael Mancienne, which forced Forest to bring Kelvin Wilson off the bench.

Otherwise, there was not a single effort on goal.It was the home side who finally conjured the first shot, as a quick break led to on-loan Cardiff man Federico Macheda firing a powerful shot into the side-netting following some nifty footwork.

Gary Gardner then had a promising opening as space opened up for him on the edge of the box, only for the normally dangerous Reds midfielder to fire harmlessly wide.

Alan Judge provided Brentford's first meaningful effort in the 30th minute, with the former Notts County man failing to trouble Dorus de Vries with a driven shot that the keeper got his body behind well.

The Forest stopper had to do better to keep out a jabbed effort from Maxime Colin after he had latched on to a clever ball from Ryan Woods following a swift passing move from the visitors, who were starting to take control.

Brentford striker Leandro Rodriguez might have done better with a shooting chance inside the box, which he lashed wildly over.It took only four minutes of the second half before Brentford took the lead, as a clever ball into the box from Judge caused confusion.

Wilson hesitated when he should have dealt with it, perhaps presuming De Vries would come to claim, and substitute Vibe pounced on the error to slot into an exposed goal from just inside the penalty area.

A Gardner free-kick, bent through the Brentford wall, at least forced a save from David Button - his first of the game - as the hour mark approached.

Forest should then have levelled when substitute Henri Lansbury - making his first appearance since suffering an ankle injury in January - intercepted to spark a five-on-one break.

But Macheda's control let him down on the edge of the box and Jake Bidwell got back to intercept.

Bidwell was to play a key part in Brentford's second goal.

Forest failed to clear his corner into the box, and Yennaris was alert to pounce and drive a low shot into the bottom corner from eight yards.

That left Forest with a mountain to climb and it got worse for the home side when Lichaj was red carded after picking up two bookings in the space of five minutes, for fouls on Judge and Vibe.

Forest could find no way back after that and Brentford finished the game off with a late goal from Canos, who picked up a pass from Vibe to slot home.

Source : PA

Source: PA