Nottm Forest 1-0 Fulham- Match Report

Nicklas Bendtner off the mark but Forest are held by Fulham

Nicklas Bendtner scored his first goal for Nottingham Forest but it was not enough to halt a winless run that extended to six games as Tom Cairney rescued a point for Fulham in a 1-1 draw at the City Ground.

Bendtner struck after an hour with a smart finish, but Cairney restored parity for the visitors 12 minutes later, and the outcome also leaves the Cottagers without a win in their own last six outings.

Forest boss Philippe Montanier made six changes to the Forest line-up, while there were five alterations to the Fulham starting XI as both sides took drastic action in order to end barren spells.

Bendtner almost opened his account for his new club in spectacular fashion after just seven minutes, when his 30-yard piledriver slammed against the Fulham bar.

Forest goalkeeper Vladimir Stojkovic produced a superb one-handed save to deny big frontman Matt Smith, who found himself unmarked six yards out as he connected with Cairney's delivery.

A brilliant ball by Damien Perquis from the back found Eric Lichaj in a forward position, but after taking the ball down well, the Forest skipper was unable to get a decent connection and he poked his shot well over.

A cross from Scott Malone hit the unmarked Sone Aluko six yards from goal, but the Cottagers frontman was unable react quick enough to force the chance home.

David Button then came to Fulham's rescue to deny Bendtner, when his outstretched leg kept out a shot from the ex-Gunner as he met Mustapha Carayol's cross.

Good build-up play between Bendtner, Lichaj and Ben Osborn then saw a chance created for Carayol just before the break, but he could not steer his shot on target.

The second half was only two minutes old when Aluko wasted a glorious chance to put Fulham ahead, scooping a shot over the bar from inside the six-yard box following a goalmouth scramble.

After an hour, though, it was Bendtner who sparked the match into life as Forest took the lead.

Pajtim Kasami and Osborn combined well down the left and the latter then flicked on the Greek midfielder's cross to Bendtner, who smashed his shot low and firmly into the bottom corner.

Aluko had the ball in the net for Fulham six minutes later, but the assistant referee had his flag raised and the goal did not stand.

The Cottagers did draw level after 72 minutes when Forest failed to clear their lines and Cairney rammed the ball home after Denis Odoi's cross ballooned up into the air and fell nicely for the former Blackburn man.

Stojkovic then produced an excellent save from Chris Martin, diving low to his right to deny the on-loan striker

Smith followed up to rifle the rebound into the net, but again the flag went up for offside.

Stojkovic again flung himself through the air to keep out another Martin drive, before Ragnar Sigurdsson headed over as Fulham threatened to win it at the death.

Source : PA

Source: PA