Nottm Forest 1-1 Burnley: Match Report

Matt Taylor celebrated his first league start of the season to rescue a late point for Burnley as 10-man Nottingham Forest were denied a precious win in a 1-1 draw.

Eric Lichaj had fired Forest ahead in the 74th minute with his first goal for the club, but their hopes were hit two minutes later when Burnley summer target Henri Lansbury controversially saw red for a foul on Ben Mee.

And the 10 men of Forest could not hold out as veteran Taylor slammed home a late goal to earn the Clarets a point and break the hosts' hearts.

After Lansbury and David Vaughan scuffed shots wide for Forest, Burnley nearly took the lead in the 10th minute with their first attack. Andre Gray's cross into the box was cleared by Jamie Ward, but only as far as Joey Barton, who took two paces before crashing a deflected 25-yarder against the base of Dorus De Vries' right-hand post.

The ball rebounded to Gray, but the flag was raised before he drilled the ball low into the net.

Scott Arfield should have done better when Sam Vokes' cross reached him at the far post, but he poked the ball back in the direction it had come and out for a goal kick.

It was by no means one-way traffic but Burnley were carving out the better of the opportunities and they again went close when Nelson Oliveira bundled over Taylor, whose resulting free-kick brought a diving save out of De Vries after 27 minutes, while the Dutch keeper then foiled David Jones as Sean Dyche's side began to exert some pressure.

Clarets defender Michael Keane was fortunate to be shown just a yellow card by referee Stuart Attwell for deliberate handball six minutes before the break after he illegally prevented Oliveira from latching on to Vaughan's long ball.

A brilliant 70-yard run from right-back Lichaj after the break had the Forest faithful on their feet, but his work was undone by a poor cross.

The Reds went close again when Ryan Mendes showed some quick feet to avoid a couple of challenges and his pass found Oliveira, whose drilled effort skidded inches wide.

Forest boss Dougie Freedman brought on Dexter Blackstock for the ineffective Tyler Walker and his header set up Mendes, whose thunderous effort was somehow kept out by Tom Heaton.

But the Reds were not to be denied on their next attack three minutes later when Lichaj powered home a terrific left-footed effort after Burnley failed to clear another attack.

Two minutes later, though, Forest were stunned as Lansbury was dismissed for a foul on Mee.

Gray had a chance to draw Burnley level, but curled his effort just wide, but they were not be denied as Taylor slammed in a 90th-minute equaliser.

Source : PA

Source: PA