Nottm Forest 3-1 Reading: Match Report

Nottingham Forest finally found their scoring touch to help ease the pressure on under fire pressure boss Dougie Freedman with a much needed 3-1 win over Reading.

Nelson Oliveira netted twice after Chris O'Grady had cancelled out Matej Vydra's early opener for the visitors, as the Reds found the back of the net three times for the first time in a Championship game this season.

Freedman's side had not scored twice in a game since mid-September and a run of just one win in 10 previous games had left the Scotsman's job under threat, with goals the issue for a Forest team who had netted just 13 times in 17 previous outings.

But they held out for a vital win, even despite having Jack Hobbs sent off in the 66th minute.

O'Grady had demonstrated his intentions with an early turn and shot, but it was to be the visitors who took the lead, as Vydra showed his ruthless instincts.

A shot from Oliver Norwood was poorly struck but, after taking a deflection, it fell to Vydra, who may have been offside, but kept his composure to finish from a few yards out in the 14th minute.

A fine turn and slightly less impressive shot from O'Grady offered the threat of a revival - and the striker did get his goal in the 20th minute.

Ryan Mendes had cut a clever ball across the penalty area from the right and O'Grady swept a powerful rising shot towards goal that keeper Ali Al-Habsi got a hand to, but could not prevent from crossing the line.

O'Grady then had a header and another shot on the turn both deflected wide and it was no surprise when the home side took the lead in the 31st minute, following more good work from Mendes down the right.

The Cape Verde international led a quick break from a Reading corner, before switching play to the opposite flank.

Mendes' cross-field ball found Oliveira cutting into the box, where he took a touch before bending an unstoppable shot beyond the keeper and high into the corner of the net.

Dorus de Vries had to make an outstanding save to deny Reading before the interval, as Norwood bent a beautiful free kick high towards the top corner.

Lansbury also threatened with a free kick, but Al-Habsi saved simply.

The Reading keeper was beaten again four minutes into the second half, however, as Forest made a bright start.

Osborn combined with O'Grady, who crossed brilliantly from the left to leave Oliveira with the task of stretching out his boot at the far post to steer the ball home from five yards.

Blackman drew another fine save from de Vries with a dipping 20-yard effort that the keeper held well, diving low to his left.

Jack Hobbs, who had been booked for a foul on Vydra in the 42nd minute, was sent off in the 66th minute when he was lured into a foul on the same player, with referee Keith Hill quick to give him his marching orders.

Daniel Williams saw de Vries paw a late effort away, amid seven minutes of injury time, but Forest held on for three points.

Source : PA

Source: PA